Saturday, November 29, 2014

Building a Playground without Spending a Fortune (Part 3)

Now that we have prepped everything in part 1 and got the fort constructed in part 2, we can move on to the swings and other hardware.

The Cool Wave Slide was simple to install on top of a 4x4. I used carriage bolts to mount the scrap 4x4 to the fort and then screwed the slide in on top of it.

There are a lot of recommendations regarding the placement of swings in relation to fences. I decided to follow the 2x the length of the swing policy. This dictated where I placed the entire playground originally but I could have shortened the swing. Ultimately, the playground area is twice the length of the swing on both sides.

I mounted the swing hardware with carriage bolts through the 4x6 and attached the swings. For the cross member support, I used the steel frameto ensure safety.


I used my Werner ladderand Irwin clamps to hold the cross member in place after leveling.


Then I could add the support 4x4s with the simple angle cut.


I wanted to hide the A-frame a bit so I used pieces of 4x4 to go under the 4x6 joist. I used foot long landscape nails to anchor the support beams into the ground.


With the swing hardware mounted, we are almost done!


I drilled a 3 inch PVC pipe to make a drain for the sandbox.



All that is left is to add sand to the sandbox and the protective support material and accessories. We will do that in the next post.

 


As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment