Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Santa fun with Smartthings, Sonos and Hue

There are obvious ways you can use SmartThings to automate your holidays, but there are also some fun and easy ways to make it fun for the kids too. For example, there will be a nice surprise for the first of my children to bolt toward the stairs on Christmas morning.

My goal was to play an mp3 that I made by mixing some sleigh bell sounds with a Santa Claus "ho, ho, ho" from a speaker located in the same room as my fireplace (and the Christmas tree). The speaker is a Sonos Playbar (Sonos speakers get up to a $50 credit on Amazon right now!) that has been added as a thing to my SmartThings hub but any connected speaker will work.

The first thing I did was find the sound effect that I was looking for and dubbed over the extra "ho, ho, ho". I dropped the finished mp3 into my music folder so that it would show up in the Sonos app. Next I paired a door sensor (the one on the recommendations page) with SmartThings and placed it on the kids' door.



I already had the "Sonos Notify with Sound" SmartApp installed so I just needed to configure it.


There are lots of options for how to trigger the sound or text, and a motion sensor would probably work better for most people. I chose the "Contact Opens" to use my door sensor.


Now we just need to select the speaker we want to play it on and click "More options" to select "Or play this music or radio station"



Now select the mp3.


You could create a "Christmas Day" mode and set it to only play then. You could also specify that it only be played once per day to ensure that it doesn't play a second time.


That was really easy! For added dramatics, I am going to have the room light turn off and three hue bulbs glow red and green briefly. It should all be over before they can get down the stairs. I will let you know how it goes. Maybe I will be able to capture it all on the Dropcam.

 How are you using home automation this holiday season?

-Chris

6 comments:

  1. I had access to 6 different phones belonging to my workers who were planning to steal over $120,000 from my company. I read all their conversations, all thanks to this professional hacker by the name Hacker4wise.The best way to thank him is with this post. So if you need a good hacker you can reach him via Support @ hacker4wise com He has many other services he offers like -website hack -credit repair and score boost -all social media accounts hack -erasing criminal records permanently -GPS tracking -university database hack and grades change -recovering of funds lost to. online brokers and so many others. I wrote out the little I remembe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to give my gratitude to Wizard James Services because this site is the only one where there is nothing superfluous going on, they were completely honest and transparent all the way through. They said they could crack my wallet, it took them 4 hours and they took their 20% and left me the rest, Job well done. His contact: wizardjamesrecovery@usa.com or WhatsApp: +1 (863) 254-2842

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get in touch with techspypro for all your hack related such as; Cloning, Tracking, Spying, Retrieving of deleted text messages, Upgrading of results, Hack social media accounts, Erase criminal record. His service is safe and secure. Get in touch with him via his email techspypro @gmail com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truly scary thing about cheating is that, it brings distrust and lack to give love after being cheated. Do you need help contact him on Email techspypro @gmail com, on how to spy, track and catch a cheating spouse? Who can help would be the best personnel to help reach out. This is a great app and thanks for the enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed, to me I believe some people should be called genius in doing what they know how to do best, when it comes to dealing with getting solutions and revealing secrets I can vouch for hackerspytech @ gmail com services as many times as possible because of the brilliant and superb teamwork they portrayed. They are surely the best I've seen so far in my quest for my desire. Everyone should endeavor to leave a review once they get satisfied just the same way I promised to do during my early days of hiring them. Spytechacker did brilliant, Everything was quick, send dm to hackerspytech @ gmail com

    ReplyDelete